Pick any Acute Disease from Weeks 1-5 (see syllabus)
Soap notes will be uploaded to Moodle and put through TURN-It-In (anti-Plagiarism program)
Turn it in Score must be less than 50% or will not be accepted for credit, must be your own work and in your own words. You can resubmit, Final submission will be accepted if less than 50%. Copy paste from websites or textbooks will not be accepted or tolerated. Please see College Handbook with reference to Academic Misconduct Statement.
Late Assignment Policy
Assignments turned in late will have 1 point taken off for every day assignment is late, after 7 days assignment will get grade of 0. No exceptions
Follow the MRU Soap Note Rubric as a guide:
This sheet is to help you understand what we are looking for, and what our margin remarks might be about on your write ups of patients. Since at all of the white-ups that you hand in are uniform, this represents what MUST be included in every write-up.
1) Identifying Data (___5pts): The opening list of the note. It contains age, sex, race, marital status, etc. The patient complaint should be given in quotes. If the patient has more than one complaint, each complaint should be listed separately (1, 2, etc.) and each addressed in the subjective and under the appropriate number.
2) Subjective Data (___30pts.): This is the historical part of the note. It contains the following:
a) Symptom analysis/HPI(Location, quality , quantity or severity, timing, setting, factors that make it better or worse, and associate manifestations.(10pts)
b) Review of systems of associated systems, reporting all pertinent positives and negatives (10pts).
c) Any PMH, family hx, social hx, allergies, medications related to the complaint/problem (10pts). If more than one chief complaint, each should be written u in this manner.
3) Objective Data(__25pt.): Vital signs need to be present. Height and Weight should be included where appropriate.
a) Appropriate systems are examined, listed in the note and consistent with those identified in 2b.(10pts).
b) Pertinent positives and negatives must be documented for each relevant system.
c) Any abnormalities must be fully described. Measure and record sizes of things (likes moles, scars). Avoid using “ok”, “clear”, “within normal limits”, positive/ negative, and normal/abnormal to describe things. (5pts).
4) Assessment (___10pts.): Diagnoses should be clearly listed and worded appropriately.
5) Plan (___15pts.): Be sure to include any teaching, health maintenance and counseling along with the pharmacological and non-pharmacological measures. If you have more than one diagnosis, it is helpful to have this section divided into separate numbered sections.
6) Subjective/ Objective, Assessment and Management and Consistent (___10pts.): Does the note support the appropriate differential diagnosis process? Is there evidence that you know what systems and what symptoms go with which complaints? The assessment/diagnoses should be consistent with the subjective section and then the assessment and plan. The management should be consistent with the assessment/ diagnoses identified.
7) Clarity of the Write-up(___5pts.): Is it literate, organized and complete?
Total Score: ____________ Instructor: __________________________________
SOAP NOTE SAMPLE FORMAT FOR MRC
“I am having vaginal itching and pain in my lower abdomen.”
Pt is a 30y/o AA female, who is a new patient that has recently moved to Miami. She seeks treatment today after unsuccessful self-treatment of vaginal itching, burning upon urination, and lower abdominal pain. She is concerned for the presence of a vaginal or bladder infection, or an STD. Pt denies fever. She reports the itching and burning with urination has been present for 3 weeks, and the abdominal pain has been intermittent since months ago. Pt has tried OTC products for the itching, including Monistat and Vagisil. She denies any other urinary symptoms, including urgency or frequency. She describes the abdominal pain as either sharp or dull. The pain level goes as high as 8 out of 10 at times. 200mg of PO Advil PRN reduces the pain to a 7/10. Pt denies any aggravating factors for the pain. Pt reports that she did start her menstrual cycle this morning, but denies any other discharge other that light bleeding beginning today. Pt denies douching or the use of any vaginal irritants. She reports that she is in a stable sexual relationship, and denies any new sexual partners in the last 90 days. She denies any recent or historic known exposure to STDs. She reports the use of condoms with every coital experience, as well as this being her only form of contraceptive. She reports normal monthly menstrual cycles that last 3-4 days. She reports dysmenorrhea, which she also takes Advil for. She reports her last PAP smear was in 7/2016, was normal, and reports never having an abnormal PAP smear result. Pt denies any hx of pregnancies. Other medical hx includes GERD. She reports that she has an Rx for Protonix, but she does not take it every day. Her family hx includes the presence of DM and HTN.
Protonix 40mg PO Daily for GERD
MTV OTC PO Daily
Advil 200mg OTC PO PRN for pain