Adhering to Ethical Communication Standards
This essay allows you to explain what “communication ethics” means and can involve, as well as how you articulated and adhered to ethical communication standards within a specific assignment for the Communication Studies major.
Write a 4.5 to 5 page essay (typed, double-spaced, 1-inch margins, 12-pt font) that meets the following content guidelines.
1. Your opening paragraph should make clear that the ability to articulate and adhere to ethical communication standards is significant within the Communication Studies major and, then, explain what “communication ethics” means.
2. Your second paragraph should draw upon the National Communication Association [NCA] Credo for Ethical Communication to explain the richness and complexity of what constitutes communication ethics.
3. Your third paragraph should make clear that communication ethics is relevant to all contexts of communication. Explain how communcaction ethics is relevant to all contexts of communication.
4. In the remainder of the essay (3-4 pages) you should identify and explain how a specific assignment you completed within the major exemplifies your articulation of and adherence to specific ethical communication standards. You must thoroughly summarize the focus and content of the assignment as well as how it reflects specificethical communication standards. Be sure to focus on communication ethics throughout the assignment.
5. Provide closure to your essay.
**You may not use the same assignment and class that you used for your theory essay. Both the assignment and the class must be different.
**Use your own words, explanations, and examples as much as possible. If you paraphrase or quote a source, be sure to cite it (e.g., “The National Communication Association’s [NCA’s] (1999) Credo for Ethical Communication states that…”).
** See the sample Ethics essay in this iLearn Assignment Book.
You can earn up to 20 points for this assignment, based on the degree to which you clearly address and accurately/fully develop the required parts of the essay, as well as based on the quality of your writing.
1. Do not forget that the National Communication Association’s Credo for Ethical Communication defines ethics as more than honesty. Reflect the complexity and diversity of communication ethics in your essay.
2. Edit carefully! Remember that this essay will become part of the central focus of your ePortfolio. You want to represent yourself well; therefore, the quality of your writing is especially important. Be clear and accurate.