Amazon security flaws
Read the article, “How Apple and Amazon security flaws led to my epic hacking” by Mat Honan. A PDF of the article is posted to Canvas. In addition, you can find it online:
Name and Section TIME: Drew Januzzi ITM-310-201810-006
AFTER reading the article, answer the following questions:
1. Amazon. What did the hackers obtain from Amazon that would later allow them the ability to hack into accounts? Be specific.
2. Google acct. What is Google’s two-factor authentication? Clearly explain first what two-factor authentication is at Google, then provide a clear and specific example of how Google uses two-factor authentication, i.e. how do they do two-factor authentication. This needs to be understandable. [note: be sure you understand how GOOGLE uses it!]
3. In all, 4 accounts were hacked. Briefly list all 4 with the extent of “damage” for each of the accounts. Next, in your opinion, for each of the 4, why may the hacking into that specific account be a problem? Be specific for each account.
4. “Wired” successfully verified the hackers’ access technique by performing it on a different account. When it came down to it, what were the final three items needed in order to successfully do this? Simply list the three.
5. Mat Honan actually corresponded with the hacker. What was the hacker’s “name”?
6. Ultimately, why were Mat Honan’s accounts hacked? What was the “target”?
7. What are two lessons learned that YOU personally can apply, after having read this article? [i.e. in addition to what the companies need to improve!]. Be specific and be sure these are take-aways from having read this article.
For additional information, read: