American Indian culture
61. What might a patient from the American Indian culture use to prevent disease?
a. Wear certain objects or charms as a preventive measure
b. Perform specific daily rituals against disease
c. Deny that disease or illness can harm a person
d. Accept that disease is a part of life
62. Which American Indian tribe associates illness with evil spirits?
63. Which action is considered to be a traditional practice among American Indians to maintain
their harmony with nature?
a. Eating ritual foods
b. Lunar cycle agriculture
64. In which American Indian tribe are meditation and herbs used to create a trance to provide
the vision of the evil that causes an illness?
65. A patient that is of the American Indian culture is waiting to be seen in a non-Indian Health
Service facility. What concern might this patient have about receiving health care through
a. Conflict between his or her perception of the illness and what the physician diagnoses
b. Easier to receive medical care through emergency departments rather than private physicians
c. Receive better health care from mainstream medical services
d. Concern that medical insurance won’t cover all the medical costs
66. In which cities do the largest number of naturalized Asian citizens reside?
a. Washington, D.C.
b. New York
67. What is the birthplace for the largest percentage of Asians who became naturalized in 2010?
c. People’s Republic of China
68. What does Chinese medicine teach about health?
a. It is the way to ultimate reality.
b. It is based in Confucian philosophy.
c. It is the prevention of illness.
d. It is a state of spiritual and physical harmony with nature.
69. Which action would a United States health care provider need to take to understand the
Chinese philosophy of health and illness?
a. Live according to the Buddhist precepts.
b. Follow the Confucian way of life.
c. Understand the Chinese culture.
d. Examine Taoist religion and philosophy.
70. Which is a concept of holism in traditional Chinese medicine?
a. Integration of the body with the external environment
b. Energy fields that create health or disease
c. Local pathology as separate from the body
d. Harmonic balance that creates illness