Community Health Course
You were asked to watch the movie Contagion. This week your assignment is to answer the following questions using APA format. This assignment is due by Saturday March 8th at 8am, EST.
1. Did the CDC play a role in the movie? If so, what was there role? What is the CDC’s role for our Nation? Be sure to include primary role of the CDC
2. What is a Pandemic and Name three pandemic that have affected our Nations health?
3. Is there a role for Public Health Nurses in the movie? If so, what was it?
4. Track one disease online and discuss what countries have been affected by it, what countries have not been affected by it and why? (Where any implementations established to protect the people of this country?)
5. How did the disease start? (How was it spread?)
6. Explain in your own words, what the author means when she says “Medicine has become a team sport and public health even more so.”
7. Speaking about Ethics, where there any ethical implications debated in the movie? If so, describe.
8. Explain how social media has impacted the dissemination of health information to the public.
Read the following and answer questions related to it:
When Hollywood turns to medicine, accuracy generally heads for the hills. But the creators of the new action thriller “Contagion” went to unprecedented lengths to fact-check their story of a destructive viral pandemic, retaining a panel of nationally renowned virologist and epidemiologists as consultants. The intent was to infuse the usual hyperbole with an extra frisson: This is the way it could really happen. Still, the whole thing is an improbably caricature, with 100 action-packed Hollywood minutes veering far from reality. You can still be very afraid if you want, if a contagious apocalypse happens to be your thing. But it’s not going to happen this way (Zuger, 2012).
9. Explain Dr. Zuger’s opinion about how realistic “Contagion” is when it comes to portraying how a pandemic might play out on a global scale.
10. Describe some of the ways in which the movie “Contagion” incorporated actual events or facts about contagious diseases into its storyline.