conduct market research on two sites
The market research assignment is a group discussion that includes uploading your research files. You will use Site to Do Business to conduct market research on two sites and share your insights with your group.
Directions to log on to Site to Do Business: (more detailed instructions and screenshots can be found in the Instructions document)
1. go to stdb.com, click LOG IN
2. enter username and password (Stdb.2018), click LOG IN
3. click OPEN in the Business Analyst box
4. click STDB LOGIN PROVIDER
Assignment: Enter both sites into STDB; compare and contrast them; share with your group
1. Locations. For the first site, you can use your childhood home, a friend’s home, where you live now, or any other location. Just make sure it is an area you are already somewhat familiar with. Some of you may decide to choose an urban area, such as a dorm or apartment building in the Loop. Also, remember that you will be uploading these reports to your group. If you don’t want to share your home address with the group, you can use one that is nearby or select a completely different one. The second site is 2250 N Sheffield, which is the Student Center at Lincoln Park campus.
2. Geographic boundaries. After selecting the addresses, you will need to decide what geographic boundary you want to use around that site. You can use rings, walk times or drive times. For a location like Lincoln Park campus, it might make sense to use a 10 minute walk time. For a suburban location, you might want to use a drive time or a something like 2 or 3 mile rings around your site. You decide–and make sure you explain what you decided and why you made that choice.
3. Reports. You should make PDF copies of any STDB report you used so that you can upload them your group discussion. There are many reports to choose from, but make sure you run at least these three:
In your discussion post, describe the demographic trends, making sure you comment on the following. Are any of these very different from national averages?
Describe your findings to your group and include in your summary comments on what you found surprising or intriguing. Don’t forget to upload your STDB reports to this discussion.