Observation and Assessment in Early Childhood
Unit 9 Final Project
In this unit’s Reading, you will watch a video of an 18 month old child ( link: http://media.pearsoncmg.com/pcp/pls_0558982484/index.html?wf=1&item=2 ) In preparation for this project. From this video, you will fill out two assessment instruments: an anecdotal record and developmental checklists (see attached template document). Since the child is 18 months old, you need to fill out both the one-year-old developmental checklist and the 2-year-old developmental checklist as the child may have skills found at both one and two years of development. These forms can be found in this unit. Carefully watch the video and fill out these assessment tools. Be sure to use objective, measurable language in your observations. Be sure to include your completed assessment forms in your submission for this project. You can expect to watch the video multiple times in order to be able to observe everything you need to do a thorough assessment. Remember, you need to address each of the developmental domains: cognition, social-emotional, physical and language. Observation and assessment are learned skills and take practice.
You will write an essay discussing the results of the video observation data collection including additional assessment needs and possible instructional strategies. Please note: early childhood professionals can always use additional assessments and you must discuss additional assessment needs for this child. You should use the template provided for your project.
While you are encouraged to integrate material from the course readings and discussions, make sure to paraphrase (don’t copy word-for-word!) and provide the sources for your content. Use APA formatting and citation style throughout your paper.
1. Length: 3 to 5 pages
2. APA Format & Style: Title & Reference pages (does not count in total length of paper), 12 Font (Arial or Times New Roman, double spaced and one inch margins. For help with citations/references please refer to the APA Quick Reference Guide under Course Home and also visit the KU Writing Center.
3. Rubric: See the grading rubric in the Syllabus for how your work will be evaluated.
Suggested references to use for this assignment
Read Chapter 11 “Communicating with Families” in your text, Assessment in Early Childhood Education. (Attached document: Chapter_11.docx)
You will also explore the website “Family Centered Assessment” and watch the videos “Finley’s Parent Teacher Conference” and “Sharing Documentation with Families.” :
· Child Welfare Information Gateway. Family centered assessment. https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/famcentered/caseworkpractice/assessment/
· Colorado Department of Education. (n.d.) Finley’s Parent Teacher Conference. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.cde.state.co.us/resultsmatter/RMVideoSeries.htm
· Colorado Department of Education. (n.d.) Sharing Documentation with Families. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.cde.state.co.us/resultsmatter/RMVideoSeries.htm
In addition, you may explore the website on the DIAL-4 screening assessment http://www.pearsonclinical.com/childhood/products/100000304/dial-4-developmental-indicators-for-the-assessment-of-learning-fourth-edition-dial-4.html
Read the Toolkit of Recommended Curricula and Assessments for Early Childhood Home Visiting. Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/ceecis/Toolkit_of_Recommended_Curricula_and_Assessments_for_Home_Visiting.pdf
In this unit you will also watch the video, “Intelligence in Infancy,” to complete your Unit 9 Project. Link: http://media.pearsoncmg.com/pcp/pls_0558982484/index.html?wf=1&item=2