What can be surmised regarding the combination of employment patterns and income levels
of Hispanics living in the United States?
a. Capable of remaining above the poverty line
b. Remain at the middle of the economic spectrum for employment
c. More likely to live in poverty than non-Hispanic whites
d. Remain at the lowest level for economic benefits
82. What will a patient from the Mexican culture explain to the nurse as the cause of an illness?
a. Punishment from an ancestor
b. An imbalance within the body
c. Warning from God to live a better life
d. Inevitable with no method to prevent it from occurring
83. A patient from the Mexican culture tells the nurse that an illness has been caused by mal ojo
or bad eye. How did this health problem occur?
a. Excessive admiration from someone else
b. Having a spell caused by black magic
c. Being touched improperly by a health care provider
d. Lying about the amount of food one has eaten
84. Which method will a patient of the Hispanic culture use to counteract illness caused by an
a. Refrain from discussing the illness with family members.
b. Eat foods that are opposite of the imbalance.
c. Seek appropriate medical care from the local healer.
d. Dress appropriately.
85. Which is a dilemma encountered by health care providers when trying to accommodate a
patient of the Mexican culture’s desire to maintain hot and cold
a. Ensuring that all medications are taken with specific foods
b. Avoiding all foods that contain certain spices
c. Obtaining the unusual foods native to a Mexican patientâs diet
d. Understanding which foods the patient considers hot and cold
86. What would the nurse infer about the incidence of lung cancer being lower among Hispanic
women versus that of the general population?
a. Hispanic women are less likely to smoke.
b. Hispanic women are healthier than the general population.
c. Hispanic women have better preventive health practices.
d. Hispanic women are not genetically predisposed to lung cancer.
87. In 2010, which cities in the United States had both the largest number of White alone and
multiple-race White populations?
c. Los Angeles
d. San Diego
88.What would a patient of Italian descent tell the nurse is the cause of a less severe illness?
a. The evil eye
d. Failure to pray
89. Which action would a patient of German descent use to protect health?
a. Always wearing a hat to protect the head
b. Dressing properly for the season
c. Eating garlic with lunch and dinner
d. Drinking orange juice every day
90. What will the nurse assess as an important component of healing for a patient of Italian
a. Wearing black when a family member is ill
b. Use of garlic and olive oil in tonics
c. Religious faith in God
d. Eating pasta at every meal