ethical issue in communication
In this assignment, you will analyze an ethical issue in communication from several ethical perspectives, consider the consequences if these perspectives were applied to the issue, and analyze the situation from your own ethical perspective.
· Acknowledge the complexity of the ethical issues being analyzed.
· Demonstrate an understanding of ethical theories and concepts.
· Analyze and evaluate the situation applying more than one ethical perspective.
· Consider the implications and consequences of these actions to ethical decision-making in this situation.
· Analyze the issue from own ethical perspective and examines the beliefs and values that inform your ethical thinking, conduct, and decision-making.
· Cite sources correctly in-text and create a Works Cited or References page following MLA or APA guidelines.
· Write a well-organized essay with minimal errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure. Writing style should be smooth, skillful, and coherent with variety in sentence structure and effective word choice.
Core Curriculum Objectives:
· Critical Thinking – to include creative thinking, innovation, inquiry, and analysis, evaluation, and synthesis of information.
· Communication – to include effective development, interpretation, and expression of ideas through written, oral, and visual communication.
· Personal Responsibility – to include the ability to connect choices, actions, and consequences to ethical decision-making.
STEP 1: READ the ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING ESSAY GUIDELINE
Read the Ethical Decision-Making Guidelines thoroughly before you continue with this assignment. You will be referring to the guidelines frequently. It is wise to make a copy.
STEP 2: REVIEW the ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING GRADING RUBRIC
Review the grading rubric so you will know how your essay will be graded. Make a copy so you can refer to it while you are writing your essay.
STEP 3: READ the CASE STUDY: PICKING up the SLAC
Read the case study, Picking up the Slack , and make a copy.
STEP 4: RESEARCH ETHICAL STANDARDS & ETHICAL DECISON-MAKING
Read A Framework for Thinking Ethically first since it is a required source in your essay. It will give you a brief description of the Five Sources of Ethical Standards . These standards are also referred to in the literature as ethical theories, ethical perspectives, and decision rules. Other good sources for your essay are: NCA Credo for Ethical Communication and your textbook.
After you have read A Framework for Ethical Thinking , review the Ethical Decision-Making PowerPoint in the next step. The PowerPoint reviews the five sources of ethical standards, the ethical decision-making process, and the essay guidelines.
STEP 5: REVIEW the ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING PPT
The PowerPoint reviews:
· the Five Ethical Standards
· the Ethical Decision-Making Process
· the Essay Guidelines
Now accessible for screenreaders.
STEP 6: FOLLOW GUIDELINES for SOURCE CITATIONS
The Richland College Library has excellent resources to help you cite in-text sources and create a Works Cited/Reference page. Here’s a quick and easy way to access source citing guidelines:
· Open the RLC Library Resources link.
· This will take you to the Library’s home page .
· Under Research Assistance , click on APA Citations .
· You can also use Noodle Tools to create your citations. The link is also under Research Assistance
STEP 7: Type, Save, Edit, and Submit