The written take home final examination represents the final assessment for this class. You will have 48 hours from the time that this exam is made available to complete and submit your time final exam. Failure to submit the timed final exam document within the time period will result in your exam not being accepted. Use of your, notes, or other resources is strongly discouraged.
1) List and briefly explain the four steps in the scientific method.
2) Which of the following is the correct order of steps in the scientific method?
|A||)||experiment, observation, hypothesis, conclusion|
|B||)||observation, experiment, hypothesis, conclusion|
|C||)||hypothesis, experiment, observation, conclusion|
|D||)||observation, hypothesis, experiment, conclusion|
3) The two most important organelles in forensic DNA analysis are the _________________ and __________________________.
4) The DNA laboratory genotypes three suspects DNA extracted from blood, and DNA extracted from hair roots found at the scene. When the technician draws a conclusion based on the genotyping results, the forensic term for this test or process is called _____________.
5) An experiment is designed to test an hypothesis.
6) Due to television shows jurors are expecting to see perfect fingerprints and analyzable DNA on guns and other evidence. The absence of which has led jurors to exonerate otherwise guilty suspects. This is known as the ____ effect.
7) ___________________ is only inherited through the maternal lineage.
8) ______________________ is only inherited through the paternal lineage.
9) ________________________ is inherited through paternal and maternal lineages.
10) A mother is claiming that the only brother of her best friend is the father of her child. The brother is serving at a remote location in the easternmost reaches of Turkey. At the behest of his sister, the brother voluntarily provides DNA for a paternity test. Which of the following are the possible results and conclusions of the tests?
|A||)||Since one-half of the alleles from the brother and child matched, then it is highly likely that the father is the brother.|
|B||)||Since none of the alleles from the brother matched, then it is highly unlikely that the father is the brother.|
|C||)||Since one-half the alleles did not match, it cannot be ruled out that the father is the brother.|
|D||)||Since only a few alleles match those of the child, it can be ruled out that the best friend is not the father.|
11) How many permanent teeth are typically found in a human mouth?
12) Measurements made on this bone, provide an accurate method of estimating the stature from skeletal remains
13) Given that the offspring of human parents has the dominant phenotype freckles and cleft chin, the parents gametes could be…
|A||)||homozygous dominant for both genes in father; heterozygous dominant for both genes in mother.|
|B||)||heterozygous dominant for both genes in father and mother|
|C||)||homozygous dominant for both genes in father, homozygous recessive genes in mother|
|D||)||homozyogous recessive in Freckle gene and homozygous dominant in cleft gene in mother and father.|
14) In a Punnett square, the letters that line the outside of the box represent…
15) If all thousand offspring of a cross have the genotype Aa, the parents of the cross are most likely…
|A||)||AA x aa|
|B||)||Aa x Aa|
|C||)||Aa x aa|
|D||)||AA x Aa|
16) If the first child of a couple was without dimples, an recessive trait, what is the chance that the second child will be born without dimples?
D) Cannot be determined from the phenotype of the child
17) If a gamete with genotype Aa fertilized another gamete with genotype aa, the offspring genotype could be…
18) What is the phenotype ratio for a cross between Aa and Aa
19) What is the genotype ratio of a Aa x Aa cross?
20) Which of the following parts of a human cell contain information useful to a forensic investigator?
21) In a population of 100 individuals, the genotype frequency of allele 17.1 is .25, then ____ individuals have this allele.
22) DNA is a(n)
23) Which of the following base pairs is incorrect?
24) PCR is a technique that…
|A||)||molecularly xeroxes DNA.|
|B||)||requires primers and enzymes to amplify DNA.|
|C||)||can amplify many different DNA sequences all at the same time.|
|D||)||is described by all of the above answers.|
25) Given the following DNA sequence: 5′-CAGTCA-3′, the complementary strand is_________
26) Which of the following is a use of forensic entomology?
|A||)||Obtaining human DNA from the victim’s flesh digested by the insect.|
|B||)||Determining the cause of death.|
|C||)||Calculating the PMI.|
|D||)||Determining the quantity of ingested toxins and drugs from the analysis of insect body parts.|
27: Which of the following insects are most likely found during the first stages of decomposition?
28) The technical term for an insect laying eggs is _______ and the technical term for an insect laying larva is _______.
29) A reddish fluid is found on a floor of a suspect’s house. As a CSI, you desire to make a preliminary determination of the substance. You will likely perform a ____________ test for __________.
30) The element _____ is found in hemoglobin and it is what is detected in several ___________ blood tests
31) Briefly describe the three steps used in PCR?
32) Which of the following is not a characteristic of rigor mortis?
|A||)||Upon death, the loss of calcium transport in muscle cells, muscle cells continually contract.|
|B||)||Rigor Mortis first starts with small muscles in the face and these muscles are the last to relax after several days.|
|C||)||The rate of rigor mortis is independent upon the victim’s activity and the victim’s age.|
|D||)||Rigor mortis in and of itself cannot always be a reliable predictor of time since death.|
33) Which of the following bones are not used for sex estimation in adults:
34) Which of the following is incorrectly matched?
|A||)||oviposits: egg layer|
|B||)||instars: growth stage|
|C||)||larvaposit: pupae layer|
|D||)||nymph: wingless version of an adult insect|
35) Hemoglobin contains a _____________ group that binds oxygen.
36) True/False: DNA is single stranded and RNA is double stranded.
37) ________________ cells contain a nucleus.
38) Humans have ________ pairs of chromosomes.
39) The expression of a gene is called the gene’s ____________________.
40) A validation procedure must be ___________________, ___________________, and ____________________.
41) The peroxidase activity of heme groups catalyzes the oxidation of ___________________ to ____________________ in the Kastle-Myer presumptive test for blood.
42) A person who has no sperm cells would be classified as being ____________________.
43) The odor in feces is caused by the decomposition products ____________ and _________________.
44) Most animals have three major pairs of salivary glands that differ in the type of secretion they produce called the __________________, _______________________, and ____________________ glands.
45) True/False: Amy2 is the “Salivary Locus” responsible for amylase detected in saliva, sweat, nasal secretions, breast milk and Amy1 is the “Pancreatic Locus” – responsible for amylase detected in semen, blood, urine, feces, and vaginal fluid
46) True/False: Beta Amylase is the type of amylase that is found in plants.
47) True/False: Fingerprints are developed during the early stages of fetal development
48) _______________ fingerprints are composed of the sweat and oils of the body that are transferred from the ridge pattern to some substrate where they persist for some time until found by one of numerous visualizing techniques.
49) The types of manners of death are __________________, ___________________, ___________________, and _____________________.
51) _________________ is the stiffening of the body after death due to the membranes of muscle cells becoming more permeable to calcium ions.
52) Save file with your name in the file extension.