At the end of the course, students will choose 2 of the 3 formal essays they have written and substantially revise them. The portfolio should begin with an introduction that contextualizes the artifacts and accounts for any course outcomes not directly seen in the artifacts.
I will evaluate the papers you submit and assign a grade to the portfolio, which is worth 100 points. The portfolio is your opportunity to showcase your best work. This is your time to shine! The portfolio will represent your work during the course and should exemplify your ability to write, as well as revise and edit your own work.
· The portfolio should begin with an introduction that explains which two papers you chose and why. The document should also contain a statement about your writing strengths and weaknesses, as well as a plan to address your weaknesses as you continue to write college-level papers. Next, you should work to discuss whether you believe you have met the specific learning objectives for this course (see below). Finally, the introduction paper should contain a realistic assessment of your work – what grade do you think your portfolio deserves, and why?
ENG 1252 Primary Learning Objectives:
Upon successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
1. Identify the rhetorical situation, purpose, and significance of a text
2. Apply composing strategies throughout the writing process
3. Compose projects that conform to Standard Written English
4. Pose substantive questions
5. Distinguish assertions from evidence
6. Evaluate sources for timeliness and point-of-view
7. Apply citation conventions systematically
8. Describe how writing contributes to a life of significance and worth
· After your introduction, you should include your two revised, polished essays that you have chosen to showcase from this course. As a reminder, your options are the “A Life of Significance and Worth” Essay, the Rhetorical Analysis, and the Researched Argument Essay. Because you have had the opportunity to write, identify errors, and correct them, you are expected to submit papers that are very clean and well-written. Above this, though, you should demonstrate large-scale revision of items like organization, thesis, points, etc. Remember, this is all in one document.
100 pts. possible
|Introduction demonstrates thoughtful reflection about personal writing skills|
|Introduction addresses personal progress toward course learning objectives well|
|Introduction is organized and well-written, with few errors|
|Introduction is three full pages minimum|
|Essay 1 has been significantly and thoughtfully revised in terms of content and critical thinking|
|Essay 1 has been significantly and thoughtfully revised in terms of conventions and coherence|
|Essay 1 represents high-quality academic writing fitting of ENG 1252|
|Essay 2 has been significantly and thoughtfully revised in terms of content and critical thinking|
|Essay 2 has been significantly and thoughtfully revised in terms of conventions and coherence|
|Essay 2 represents high-quality academic writing fitting of ENG 1252|