Answer each question below carefully. The objective of this assignment is to assess whether or not you understood the major themes and concepts for the chapter on “The Executive”. Use your own words in responding to these short essay questions. (10 points total) You must submit your responses in word document format using the “Browse My Computer” button on the assignment submission page, which can be found by clicking the title of this assignment above. Responses should be at least three single-spaced pages. In your answers, please number each response accordingly. Use ‘12’ inch size Times New Roman font; with one inch margins throughout. Please submit your written assignments by 5:00pm.
1. What are executive orders and upon what powers are they based? Why are some executive orders controversial?
2. How does/doesn’t the president accomplish his legislative agenda?
3. What roles have first ladies served in the government? In your opinion, what is the appropriate level of power and monetary resources that should be granted to the presidential spouse?
4. How have presidential powers increased relative to congressional powers?
5. Why is the president the dominant force in foreign policy making? What has Congress done to assert its own role in this policy area? Do you think Congress should have an important role in it?
6. Describe an advantage for the president as budget initiator and priority setter.
7. Do you think President Obama has increased or decreased the power of the presidency in terms of setting domestic policy? What are some of the programs he implemented that sought to increase the power of the presidency in shaping domestic policy? Does Obama fit the model of an imperial president?