Harvard Business Review article
Read the Harvard Business Review article “Manage Your Work, Manage Your Life” that is available in Resources. Draw on at least three different ideas from Corrosion of Character to comment on this article. Elaborate each idea in a few sentences in a separate paragraph. Your comments could include similarities, contrasts, oversights, critiques, etc.
Do you see yourself in relation to your future professional life and personal life over the next 15 years, doing something similar or different as described in the article? Do you think that kind of life would be meaningful? Why or why not? If the group members have very different thoughts on this, and the space is not enough, you may talk about only one person’s thought, with a remark that the others think otherwise.
· To make sure everyone is actively involved in all discussion, there can be at most THREE people in one group. Bring your computer to class and read the article before class.
· The above questions are intentionally vague to leave more room for creativity and discussion. Please do not focus on trivial comparison or focus only on the stories of Rico, bakers, former IBM professionals, etc.
· Your response should be an essay, not in bullet form. Make sure you get the concepts and ideas in the Unit correct. Inaccurate or superficial understanding is a usual cause for loss of points.
· Be candid and give thoughtful responses. For average work, you will get around 18 out of 25 points. Those who put in extra effort and give thoughtful responses will get 1-5 more points. 2 points will be reserved for your feedback on my comments, which I will explain below.
· Turn in your responses via email in a double-spaced MS Word document with 2-3 pages. There should be one submission per group. Please include the first and last names of all the group members, and your section time, in the document. Use someone’s last name on the filename for identification. The email subject line should be “Group Project 1 from [last name 1], [last name 2] and [last name 3], [section time]”. In the email submission, you should also CC all other group members.
· Please try to finish it in class. Just in case you need more time, the assignment is due by 4pm Fri.
· I will try my best to return it by email before the test. In the returned file there are comments. EVERY MEMBER of the group should then write an email back to me, giving a brief feedback on my comments, which could be as short as two sentences. For example, you may acknowledge a mistaken idea, or you may explain why you overlooked certain ideas, etc. Primarily, it is an opportunity to have personal communication regarding what you have learned. If you write such an email to me within 24 hours of receiving my email, you will get 2 points.
· Four points may be deducted if you fail to follow any of the above instruction, like email format. If you submit it after 4pm, it will not be graded and you will get only 5 points.