“How Do I Organize My Brainstorm into an Outline?” in “The Writing Process” Media piece.
Use the Persuasive Essay Outline on the next page to outline your persuasive essay by completing the following:
1) Use the feedback you received from your instructor to revise your thesis statement.
a) Write your thesis as a complete sentence (as you would in your essay) in the “Thesis Sentence” section under the Introductory Paragraph heading in the outline below.
2) Create a topic sentence for each of the three paragraphs that comprise the body of your essay.
a) Record the topic sentences in each of the “Topic Sentence” sections under the “Support for Thesis” headings in the outline below.
b) Your topic sentences should support your thesis and provide transitions between the paragraphs.
3) Write at least three details for each topic sentence.
a) These details should provide support for the topic sentence.
b) Remember to include at least one in-text citation for each supporting paragraph.
4) Write a concluding sentence under the “Conclusion” heading in the outline below.
a) Your concluding sentence should be your thesis restated in different words.
Persuasive Essay Outline
Background and contextual information:
Support for Thesis 1 (Subtopic 1)
Persuasive Topic Sentence including position and subtopic 1:
Support for Thesis 2 (Subtopic 2)
Persuasive Topic Sentence including position and subtopic 2
Support for Thesis 3 (Subtopic 3)
Persuasive Topic Sentence including position and subtopic 3:
Paraphrase thesis statement (restated in different words):
Summarize main points:
* More below: Please move on to the next page.
References (New page at the end of the essay)
Organize all references below into a reference list. Be sure the references are in alphabetical order based on the author’s last name, double-spaced. List should be formatted to have hanging indents by ½ an inch, with the first line hanging and all others indented. See the GCU Style Guide for help with formatting references and citations. Within the essay, this reference page will be on its own page at end of your essay.
Persuasive essay writing process:
References and Citation help:
Consider the following criteria when developing the outline for your essay. These criteria will be applied when this assignment is graded.
1) Outline contains a thesis statement.
2) Outline contains a topic sentence for each of the three paragraphs of the body of the essay.
3) Transitions between paragraphs are evident and appropriate.
4) Contains three details for each topic sentence; details provide support of the related topic sentence.
5) Included in-text citations and references.
6) Outline contains concluding sentence, which restates the thesis in different words.
© 2016. Grand Canyon University. All Rights Reserved.