1. Question. (TCO 1) The Jamestown colony was established by
2. Question. (TCO 4) The Spanish who settled in Florida and New Mexico were primarily
3. Question. (TCO 4) Why did English immigration to the colonies drop dramatically after 1660?
4. Question. (TCO 4) The Great Awakening led to
5. Question. (TCO 2) After Britain issued the Intolerable Acts, colonists punished anyone supporting British policies or officials by
6. Question. (TCO 2) In the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson refers to the natural rights due to every citizen as
7. Question. (TCO 2) The Patriots would not have won the Battle of Yorktown and the American Revolution without help from
8. Question. (TCO 1) The Articles of Confederation created a national government with
9. Question. (TCO 1) The constitution divides government power
10. Question. (TCO 3) The assertion that states the right to disobey federal law was called
11. Question. (TCO 3) In the early 19th century, the largest source of European immigration came from
12. Question. (TCO 3) Slavery expanded with the growth of
13. Question. (TCO 3) James Polk
14. Question. (TCO 2) Congress tried to resolve the dispute between the North and the South about slavery in the territories by
15. Question. (TCO 2) In 1856, Border Ruffians attacked
16. Question. (TCO 8) Lee’s smaller army defeated McClellan’s larger force and kept Union troops out of Richmond because
17. Question. (TCO 8) Why did President Lincoln want Grant commanding the Union army after the Battle of Gettysburg?
18. Question. (TCO 10) After the Civil War, a new immigrant was most likely to be from
19. Question. (TCO 10) Progressivism and populism largely differed in
20. Question. (TCO 7) The invasion of Belgium turned American opinion against Germany because
21. Question . (TCO 7) During World War I, which of these did the Germans use against British ships?
22. Question. (TCO 11) This trial became a symbol of the conflict within Protestantism between modernists and fundamentalists.
23. Question. (TCO 11) What brought the Harding administration to an end?
24. Question. (TCO 11) The Great Depression affected
25. Question. (TCO 7) What event marked the beginning of World War II?
Question 1. (TCOs 1 and 2) Identify and describe the main provisions of the Constitution of 1787. Make sure you analyze the compromises made at the convention to ensure the passage of the new federal constitution. Then discuss the formation of Americas first two political parties, the Democratic-Republicans and the Federalists. What were the major differences and who were the best-known members of each party? Make sure you use enough details to support your answer.
Question 2. (TCO 2) Identify and analyze the Dred Scott decision. Be sure to discuss the political reaction to this decision. Then analyze the election of 1860 and how the controversy over slavery divided the party into northern and southern branches. Analyze the ascendency of Abraham Lincoln to the presidency. Be sure to use enough details to support your answer.
Question 3. (TCOs 6 and 7) Identify and explain at least two causes of World War II. Then analyze Americas foreign policy before the war, and describe how that policy changed as the war progressed. Be sure to include a discussion of how the Battle of Britain influenced American opinion. Make sure you use enough details to support your answer.
Question 4. (TCOs 7 and 9) Identify and analyze the main events of the Korean War and Cuban Missile Crisis. Then assess how these events affected the relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union. Make sure you use enough details to support your answer.