Language Ideology Analysis:
1. Watch a short YouTube clip called “Uptalk and Public Speaking: Does Uptalk Make You Upchuck?” (posted under Course Videos/Films on BbL).
2. What do you observe in the video as far as gender and language ideologies are concerned? Language ideologies are mainstream ideologies the society holds about the ways different groups of people speak. In class we said, language ideology is when we think a group of people speaks a certain way because they are what they are (for example, people that speak with a southern accent are sometimes stereotyped by some as being backward, etc.). Some language ideologies (especially those portrayed in the video “Does Uptalk Make You Upchuck?”) are tightly connected to our perceptions of gender as well. Gender ideologies refer to attitudes regarding the appropriate roles, rights, and responsibilities of men and women in a society. They are a set of societal norms dictating the types of behavior, including communication, considered acceptable, appropriate, or desirable for men and women.
3. Write a paper based on your observations of what is being said in the video and things we’ve learned in class:
– First Paragraph: describe what the video is about (what is the woman saying about uptalk, what does she think about it, and how does she confront it?)
– Second Paragraph: connect your observations to the class material. Discuss how do the various critiques of women’s types of speech (uptalk and vocal fry) play into the mainstream gender and language ideologies that exist in our society today? What are our perceptions of how women should be speaking? Connect the analysis and discussion to the following class material:
. class lecture powerpoint on the topic of language and gender ideologies, creaky voice, uptalk, the use of the word like, etc.
. NPR interview “From Upspeak to Vocal Fry? Are We ‘Policing’ Young Women’s Voices?” (the link is posted under Course Videos/Films on BbL)
. Articles: Uptalk, Vocal Fry, and, Like, Totally Slang: Assessing Stylistic Trends in American Speech by Tadeusz Lewandowski and Move Over Shakespeare, Teen Girls Are the Real Language Disruptors by Gretchen McCulloch
– Third Paragraph: reflect on and discuss the possible gender and language ideologies our society might have about uptalk and/or creaky voice and explain why you think this is so.
The assignment should be no less than two pages, double-spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman, and 1 inch margins all around. Write only your name in the header. You will not be penalized for going over two pages but you will get points docked for not writing two full pages. Long, direct quotations from articles are not allowed; this is a short assignment and I need to hear your voice in it.
Analysis paper will be graded by the GA under professor’s guidance. Do not e-mail the assignment to the professor or the GA!
Submit on BbL in word or pdf file formats only!!! No other formats will be accepted.