Local Government Project
Answer all of the following. Make sure you include proper documentation (website address) from the Internet for each answer. It is acceptable to have the same website address for several questions. Do NOT cut and paste any part of these answers. You are to put each answer into your own words. Failure to do this on even one question is plagiarism.
1. Name the city in which you live.
2. Name the mayor of your city. Write one paragraph detailing the background and experience of your mayor.
3. Who did the mayor beat in his last election? What was the result (e.g. Geisler def. Brownfield, 63%-47%)
4. What is the address of your City Hall?
5. Write the length of the term of the mayor. When is the next election?
6. Name the members of the city council.
7. Describe the length of the terms of the city council.
8. Who is your city councilman? What district does he represent?
9. When and where are city council meetings held in your city?
10. Who is the City Manager?
11. Write one paragraph describing the duties of the city manager and how he is chosen. (In your own words)
12. What are the dates, times, and locations of the next three city council meetings?
13. Name two specific laws of your city. Only include laws that could possibly affect you in your life as it is today. E.g. – do not name a law regulating real estate taxes if you don’t own any real estate. Be sure to include the city ordinance # and a link to the law.
14. In which county do you live?
15. Who is your county commissioner? What district or place does he represent?
16. How are County Commissioners chosen? What are the terms of a County Commissioner?
17. Write one paragraph describing the job of county commissioner. (In your own words)
18. Who is your County Judge?
19. What does the county judge do? (In your own words)
20. Who is your county Sheriff?
21. What does the country Sheriff do? (In your own words)
22. Watch a video on YouTube or other website on a Local issue in your city. Be sure to include the link to the video and make sure the video is at least 3 minutes long. Summarize the points made in the video.
23. Write a four-paragraph summary of an article for an OP-ED written on a State or local issue. Be sure to include a link to the op-ed. Make sure you cover the following questions.
a. What is the argument of the op-ed?
b. Why is this an important issue?
c. To what extent do you agree with the author? Why? To what extent do you disagree? Why?