Specific Purpose Statement: Today, I am going to discuss the “Obesity” as a medical condition that results in excess body fats.
Obesity is a medical condition that results from excess body fats or weight. The increase in body weight causes obesity. Medical practitioner suggests that a person has obesity if the body mass index is high. A body mass index is a tool that health practitioners use to assess the appropriateness of the weight of an individual based on sex, age, and height. Notably, Brady (2016) stated that a mass body weight between 25 and 29.9 reveals that one is carrying excess weight. The author also says that a body mass of 30 or above suggests one is obese. A person having the condition of excess weight or obesity has high risks of developing health complications such as arthritis, metabolic syndrome, and some types of cancer.
Causes of obesity
something like that ,but add the connectors of the other essay
1. Consumption of too many calories. According to Stevens (2017), when a person gets an intake of more calories than what the body can use as energy, the body stores the excess as fats.
Foods that can lead to increased risk of obesity
· Fast foods
· Many dairy products
· Foods with added sugars
· Sweetened juices
· Fatty and processed meats
IN ADDICTION (tran
2. Leading a sedentary lifestyle. The modern society is leading a lifestyle that involves activities that do not require much exercise. The activities include;
· Playing computer games rather than doing physical activities.
· Working in the office most of the time rather than doing manual labor.
· Using cars for traveling instead of cycling or walking
3. Not sleeping enough. Brady (2016) stated that missing sleep increases the risk of developing obesity and an increase in weight. Deprivation of sleep may result in hormonal changes, which may result in increased appetite and, in the long run, cause obesity.
4. Endocrine disruptors. The increased use intake of liquid fructose alters lipid energy metabolism. The liquid fructose also results in increased metabolic syndrome and fatty liver. Foods that contain high levels of fructose include;
· Sodas and energy drinks
· Coffee creamer
· Condiment and sauces
· Ready-made baked goods such as bread
· Breakfast cereal
5. Medications and weight gain. Some medicine, either prescribed or not prescribed, can result in gaining weight. Such medicines include;
· Atypical antipsychotic
· Anticonvulsants and mood stabilizers
Waldman (2016), stated that some drugs result in weight loss. Any individual on medication and is concerned about weight gain should ask whether the drugs have side effects on weight.
6. Lastly, the obesity gene results in weight gain. According to Stevens (2017), fat-mass and obesity cause obesity. The author also indicated that the ghrelin hormone determines eating behavior. Additionally, the hormone determines growth and how the body accumulates fats.
Obesity is a health condition that can be managed. Many causes of obesity are factors that can be controlled as they are associated with lifestyle. The over-dependency on manufactured foods is also another factor in increasing the risk of obesity. Therefore, a healthy diet in which fresh food is in plenty is one way to reduce the risk. However, the individuals containing genetic preposition may find it harder to main their weight.
Brady, C. (2016). Decreasing Obesity and Obesity Stigma: Socio-Demographic Differences in Beliefs about Causes of and Responsibility for Obesity. Social Sciences, 5(1), 12. doi: 10.3390/socsci5010012
Stevens, J. (2017). Obesity as a Disease: Why Ignore the Numbers?. Obesity, 25(9), 1467-1467. doi: 10.1002/oby.21923
Waldman, R. (2016). Dermatologic Manifestations of Obesity: Part I Mechanical Causes. Journal Of Obesity And Weight-Loss Medication, 2(1). doi: 10.23937/2572-4010.1510010