Which of the following is true of performance appraisal?
a.Performance management is a part of performance appraisal.
b.Performance appraisal is the process of determining how well employees do their jobs relative to a standard and communicating that information to them.
c.Performance appraisal is the same as performance management.
d.Performance appraisal refers to the entire series of activities designed to ensure that the organization gets the performance it needs from its employees.
12. Which of the following is an example of results-based information?
13. Which of the following is typically a responsibility of managers in performance appraisals?
a.Reviewing completed appraisals for consistency
b.Tracking timely receipt of appraisals
c.Identifying development areas
d.Designing and maintain appraisal systems
14. _____ is especially useful when supervisors do not have the opportunity to observe each employee’s performance but other work group members do.
d.Employees rating managers
15. The _____ method lists the individuals being rated from highest to lowest based on their performance levels and relative contributions.
16. Which of the following is a tangible direct reward?
b.Health care benefits
c.Paid time off
17. Which of the following is classified as an outcome in the equity theory?
18. Which of the following is typically the first step in the compensation administration process?
19. Most federal and state entities rely on the criteria for independent contractor status identified by the _____.
a.National Labor Relations Board
b.Internal Revenue Service
c.Department of Labor
20. The _____ prohibits companies from using different wage scales for men and women performing substantially the same jobs.
a.Fair Employment Act
b.Employment Non-Discrimination Act
c.Civil Rights Act
d.Equal Pay Act
21. Variable pay is _____.
a.compensation that is tied to the employee’s performance
b.compensation that is tied to the employee’s seniority
c.compensation that is tied to the employee’s ethnicity
d.compensation that is tied to the employee’s qualification
22. Gainsharing is the system of _____.
a.treating all employees as equals irrespective of their productivity and the gains they bring
b.sharing with employees the gains in profits and productivity equally
c.rating employees on the basis of their productivity and the profits they bring
d.sharing with employees greater-than-expected gains in profits and productivity
23. Which of the following is the most accurate metric of organizational performance in variable pay plans?
24. A compensation committee generally makes recommendations to the _____ on overall pay policies, salaries for top officers, supplemental compensation such as stock options and bonuses, and additional perquisites for executives.
b.board of directors
25. Stock option plans give employees the right to purchase:
d.a fixed number of shares of company stock at a specified exercise price for an unlimited period of time.
26. Employee benefits can be constructively viewed as a(n):
a.intangible plan that does not affect the costs borne by a company.
d.tool for competitive advantage.
27. According to the 1986 amendment to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA):
a.most employees cannot be forced to retire at a specific age.
b.workers should contribute to the defined benefit plans.
c.equal treatment should be given to older workers in severance situations.
d.employers can be sued by employees for age discrimination.
28. Which of the following is a voluntary employee benefit that employers may provide in addition to legally required benefits?