Persuasive essay guidelines
Topics 1-7: Full-Course Assignment
1) Throughout this course, you will work on writing a persuasive essay of 750–1,000 words (roughly 3–5 pages).
2) The essay-writing process is broken down into seven parts. Each part will be due in a different topic and graded separately.
a) Topic and Audience (due by the end of Topic 1)
b) Brainstorm (due by the end of Topic 2)
c) Thesis Statement (due by the end of Topic 3)
d) Outline (due by the end of Topic 4)
e) First Draft (due by the end of Topic 5)
f) Peer Review (due by the end of Topic 6)
g) Final Draft (due by the end of Topic 7)
3) Your essay will be informed by the topic readings and the use of a minimum of three peer reviewed resources found within the GCU eLibrary.
4) For this essay, you will begin by choosing a topic from the list provided in the “Persuasive Essay: Topic and Audience Worksheet.” If you would like to write about a topic that is not on the list, you may ask the instructor for permission.
5) Next, take a position on your topic by deciding if you are for or against the topic. This would be considered the “stance or position”.
6) The goal of this essay is for you to persuade your audience to agree with your position. Your written essay should demonstrate critical thinking by adhering to the following principles which will be studied throughout the course:
a) Acknowledge other perspectives and evaluate assumptions about the topic.
b) Manage emotions and avoid fallacies.
c) Provide evidence to support your position (Peer Review Journal Articles).
d) Include facts.
7) Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the GCU Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
8) This assignment uses a grading rubric that can be viewed at the assignment’s drop box. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
9) The first draft and final essay must be submitted to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
© 2017. Grand Canyon University. All Rights Reserved.