For what would a patient of Polish descent tell the nurse that paregoric is used?
92. What would the nurse consider about the incidence of cancer when assessing a White
a. Is significantly lower than other races
b. Is lower than among the overall population
c. Is equal with other races in incidence
d. Is slightly higher than for the overall population
93. When comparing the leading causes of death for all persons, which problem ranks higher for
the White population?
a. Alzheimer’s disease
b. Influenza and pneumonia
c. Diseases of the heart
94. Which action would the nurse take to improve cultural care?
a. Expect everyone to embrace the process
b. Confront biases and stereotypes
c. Learn a foreign language
d. Study different cultures
95. The nurse is developing the ability to hears when caring for a patient from a different
culture. What is this nurse doing?
a. Understanding the patient and the patient’s culture
b. Listening to the patient talk in the native language
c. Observing patient-family interactions
d. Identifying cultural inconsistencies
96. What action would a nurse take to learn more about the different cultures represented in the
a. Walk through the community.
b. Prepare a guide sheet with a list of herbs.
c. Recognize hot-cold imbalances.
d. Recognize folk diseases.
97. What is identified as an issue with using an interpreter when communicating with a non-
a. Age of the interpreter
b. Fee for service
c. Different dialects
d. An interpreter interprets
98. A health clinic in a socioeconomically depressed area that provides care to Hispanic patients
is being closed. Which action should the nurse take to support the patients?
a. Investigate the misappropriation of funds
b. Urge for increased funding
c. Create a list of comparable resources outside the community
d. Write directions to the nearest hospital in the patients native
99. The nurse is on the journey to learn cultural competence and sees an open highway
ahead. Which action should the nurse take at this time?
a. Cruise along, but not too fast
c. Go faster
d. Expect clear sailing ahead
100. Two nurses are overheard talking about their experiences with cultural competency.
Which experience would be considered an unexpected positive event?
a. Learning a foreign language
b. Role of a healer within a culture
c. Deep love of life and people
d. Being an advocate for funding