Why does the Chinese physician focus on palpating a patient’s pulse?
a. It can help to refine a diagnosis.
b. It indicates a specific treatment.
c. It is considered the storehouse of the blood.
d. It determines the time of death.
72. While assessing the health history of a patient who is an Asian/Pacific Islander, what will the
nurse identify as a leading cause of death for people from this culture?
a. Alzheimer’s disease
b. Influenza and pneumonia
c. Malignant neoplasms
d. Chronic lower respiratory diseases
73. What is the geographic origin of the majority of African Americans?
a. West coast of Africa
b. African interior
c. Southern coast of Africa
d. East coast of Africa
74. What is a traditional Black belief regarding health?
a. The mind, body, and spirit are not separated
b. Health represents energy forces
c. Represents a process rather than a state
d. Believed to be influenced by ancestors
75. Which is considered a traditional Black belief about illness?
a. A separation of body, mind, and spirit
b. A state of disharmony
c. An alteration in the energy force
d. Evil ancestral influence on the person
76. Which health maintenance practice would a patient from the Black culture use to keep the
a. Participate in rooting and prayer
b. Have massages
c. Take laxatives
d. Wear amulets
77. Which is a preparation used in the spring of each year by individuals of the Black culture to
a. Drinking blackstrap molasses
b. Wearing asafetida around the neck
c. Rubbing a sulfur and molasses preparation on the back
d. Drinking cod liver oil weekly
78. How would a patient from the Black culture treat poison ivy?
a. Sprinkling crushed bluestone powder on the affected area
b. Placing a mixture of garlic, onions, and parsley on the site
c. Placing clay in a dark leaf over the affected area
d. Rubbing Vicks Vaporub on the area
79. During the examination of a patient from the Black culture, how will the nurse recognize
a. Slow blood return
b. Palpate the skin
c. Check the sclera
d. Absence of underlying red tones
80. What is important for the nurse to know about high school graduation and college attendance
a. The total percentage of Hispanic people who graduated from high school in 2010 was
b. Graduation from college is expected in the Hispanic population.
c. More Hispanics are applying to college than ever before in the history of the United
d. Hispanics who graduate from high school are more likely to be naturalized.