The purpose of this assignment is to write a descriptive, an argument, or an expository essay of 1500 words or more (5 pages) using any reading from this semester (that was not used for another assignment) and research-based articles.
Any of the readings assigned in class this semester but not used on Assignments 1-5 may be used for the Final. One reading must be used in this essay.
Write a research-based essay using one of the readings from this semester that was not used for Assignment 1-5. For the essay, choose your favorite reading from the semester. You may write a descriptive, an argument, or an expository essay. You may not write a summary. You must incorporate the research that you do into your essay; however, only 150 words of your essay can be direct quotes (10% of the essay). This means that you should only use direct quotes from the original reading and paraphrase (and cite) information from your research.
Write an essay that addresses one of the issues that Qatar faces today. You may discuss any social, familial, or cultural issue that is currently relevant to Qatar.
I am your audience, but I represent the academic community. Please keep this in mind as you write your essay.
· Length: 1500 words minimum or 5 pages of essay (not including the heading or Works Cited page)
· Line Spacing: Double-spaced
· Font: Times New Roman size 12 (12 pitch)
· Format: MLA
· Voice: Formal (Use a more academic tone—the same tone you would use to present your paper to a group of professors.)
· One reading from the semester that was not used on Assignment 1-5
· Minimum of three peer-reviewed journal articles that are not over 15 years old
· A paper copy of your essay either in class or in my office (Lusail Female A2) with the first page of each peer-reviewed article
· An electronic copy of your essay only to Turnitin.com
· Essays that are not submitted to Turnitin.com by the due date and time will receive a 5 point deduction for every hour that they are late.
· Do not email your essays. All emailed essays will be deleted.
· Due Date:
· Submit an electronic copy to Turnitin.com
· Bring a hard copy of your essay with the first page of each peer-reviewed article to class or my office (Lusail Female A2)
Your essay will be evaluated on the following criteria:
· Content (27 points)
· Is the discussion well developed?
· Is the thesis clearly stated?
· Are the claims well supported?
· Reading (4 pts.)
· Research (9 pts. for research; 3 pts./article)
· Does the assignment have the required number of sources?
· Do the sources used meet the standards specified?
· Organization and MLA (23 pts.)
· Is MLA used consistently and correctly?
· 5 pts. maximum will be deducted for formatting at 0.5 pts./error
· Sentence Structure (20 pts.)
· Are the sentences complete?
· Are run-ons or phrases used?
· Word Tone and Use (17 pts.)
· Are the terms consistently used correctly throughout the essay?
· Is a formal academic tone used?
· Punctuation and Spelling (13 points; .25 pts/error)
· No more than two punctuation errors per page.
· No more than one spelling error per page.
· 5 pts. maximum will be deducted for punctuation and spelling combined at 0.25 pts/error
This assignment is worth 20% of your final grade.