rewriting from passive to active voice
1. The minutes of the November 17 project meeting were recorded by technician Jean Melnyk.
2. It was recommended by the quality control inspector that production lots 185 and 224 be reworked.
3. Yesterday’s power failure was caused by a lightning strike at Westbourne power station.
4. The fractured rotor arm was repaired by Roger Cormier.
5. The Amaze software was shipped by express post on Thursday, July 12, but was not received by the customer until Tuesday, July 17.
6. Although Whistler Mountain’s Olympic Station was obscured by fog for 24 hours, work by the crew repairing the chairlift continued throughout the night.
7. Safety boots and hardhats are to be worn by all technicians working within 100 yards of the construction site.
8. The permafrost north of Lac la Biche has been damaged irreparably by SUVs driven by oil prospectors.
9. Due to poor visibility and drifting snow caused by a blizzard on January 15, the highway to Montrose International Airport was closed by the State Police from 4 p.m. to 9 a.m. the following day.
10. As a result of the high sound levels recorded by Murray Walsh, it was decided by management that the machine shop should be operated on a reduced scale until sound-reduction measures could be implemented.
11. When toxicity levels in No. 3 tank were measured by Fran Wheeler, it was evident from her report that the requirements of specification DZ0286 had been exceeded by 18%.
12. It was stipulated by the accounting department that all requests for international travel must first be approved by the manager of administration, and then all arrangements for international travel are to be made by Columbia Travel at 3030 Windmark Drive.
13. The opportunity to prepare a proposal for installation and maintenance of the ISDN network for Regent Courier Systems was missed because their Request for Proposal was sent to our old address. It was forwarded by the post office too late for us to meet the submission deadline.
14. When the 4Tell software was evaluated, it was discovered by Sheila Fieldstone that the program was only 80% compatible with the operating system used by the company for its mainframe computer.
15. In a memo dated February 10 from Luis Cruz, Fern Wilshareen was asked to recommend an engineering technologist from her department to attend the Engineering Technology Symposium in Chicago on April 3 and 4.
16.When the temperature within the cabinet rises above 28.5°C, the blower motor cuts in automatically and operates (continually/continuously) until the cabinet temperature drops to 25°C.
17Before accepting each job lot of steel from the foundry, samples are tested mechanically and electronically to ensure the steel is (free from/free of) flaws.
18. The chief engineer agreed that the agenda (was/were) too comprehensive for a one-hour meeting.
19. When US Air had to cancel my flight from New York to Milan because the aircraft had technical problems, the gate agent had to find an (alternate/alternative) route for me to fly on another airline.
20. The (principal/principle) reason for including this exercise in Technically-Write! is to draw your attention to the glossary of technical usage