Saturday Night Live Skit Analysis:
· Write an analysis of a Saturday Night Live skit “This is How I Talk” (posted on BbL under Course Videos).
· Use the analytical tools and social theories presented in this class to demonstrate how different forms of talk and uses of the body—ways of speaking and gesturing—communicate, index, and perform cultural identities, community affiliations, genders, so-called races, ethnicities, forms of power, formality, and/or informality. All the characters in the video speak in different ways at different moments, thereby creating different social contexts.
· In your discussion and analysis, you have to use analytical concepts talked about in class lectures, discussions, and all articles on language and race we read in this class by Samy Alim.
· Organize the paper into three paragraphs:
· First paragraph: shortly explain what is going on in the skit and what you think is the main point of the skit.
· Second paragraph: is the most important and this is where you analyze certain linguistic/communicative aspect(s) of the skit. Make sure you explicitly connect the issues raised in the skit back to class readings, lectures, and discussions. In your analysis, you have to use at least two or more concepts such as indexicality, style shifting, language ideologies/linguistic supremacy, monoglot standard, languaging race, racing language, hyperracialization, etc.
· Third paragraph: continue with the socio-linguistic analysis of the skit from the second paragraph and reflect on how are issues raised in the skit related to your own life and/or the lives of people living around you. You can answer the questions: Why does this issue matter? Why is this issue important?
· The assignment should be no less than two pages, double-spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman, and 1 inch margins all around. Write only your name in the header. You will not be penalized for going over two pages but you will get points docked for not writing two full pages. Long, direct quotations from articles are not allowed; this is a short assignment and I need to hear your voice in it.
· Analysis paper will be graded by the GA under professor’s guidance. Do not e-mail the assignment to the professor or the GA!
· Submit on BbL in word or pdf file formats only!!! No other formats will be accepted.