The store will stay open later during the holiday season. The store will stock a variety of seasonal merchandise.
The store will have many discounts available for holiday shoppers.
22. When revising the paragraph above, the writer should address which of the following?
A. Sentence fluency
C. Paragraph organization
D. Writing clarity
23. Which of the following sentence orders best forms an organized, logical paragraph?
1. Planning for a test involves determining the time needed for studying, reviewing notes and previous assignments, and prioritizing the content matter to be studied.
2. Students should determine the format of questions on the test and practice answering those types of questions.
3. Each student should understand his or her learning style and utilize study aids that reflect personal strengths.
4. Planning and practicing may not be fun, but they can build confidence and lead to test-taking success.
5. Test-taking success can be greatly improved by taking the time to organize a test preparation strategy.
A. 1, 4, 2, 3, 5
B. 2, 3, 5, 1, 4
C. 4, 1, 5, 2, 3
D. 5, 1, 3, 2, 4
24. She attributed his shallowness to his luxurious upbringing, in which material comforts like fine clothes and large homes nurtured his sense of privilege.
Which of the following is the meaning of “material” as used in the sentence above?
A. The substance from which something is made
B. Pertinent or essential
C. The articles needed for a specific task
D. Concerning physical rather than spiritual aspects
1. Understanding which flavors complement each other can take years of practice.
2. Following these basic tenets will allow you to produce recipes that your friends and family will love to share.
3. Once you’ve mastered flavor combinations, however, there’s no end to the tasty experiments you can think up.
4. The key to developing a truly delicious and user-friendly recipe is to focus on flavor combinations and simplicity.
5. For kitchen experiments to become usable recipes, you should keep the user in mind and focus on clear, concise instructions.
Using the sentences above, which of the following sentence orders best forms an organized, logical paragraph?
A. 1, 3, 4, 5, 2
B. 2, 1, 3, 5, 4
C. 4, 1, 3, 5, 2
D. 5, 2, 1, 4, 3
In recent years, bottled water has become a multi-billion dollar
In recent years, bottled water has become a multi-billion dollar industry. Many Americans now drink bottled water exclusively. However, there are good reasons to stick with tap water. Bottled water varies greatly in purify and chemical composition. Some brands are quite healthy, whereas, others have been shown to contain dangerous levels of mercury, bacteria, and other harmful agents. Tap water is almost free, conversely, bottled water?? Hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. Finally, some bottled water is sourced directly from city water?? In other words, it’s merely tap water that someone has put in a bottle.
The following questions are based on this passage?
26. Which of the following is the author’s intent?
A. To provide information about the use of bottled water.
B. To convince readers that tap water tastes better than bottled water.
C. To persuade readers to consider tap water rather than bottled water.
D. To illustrate the growth of the bottled water industry.
27. Which of the following is a logical conclusion based on the passage?
A. Some city water systems are supplementing their budgets by bottling their water for sale.
B. The bottled water industry is not heavily regulated in terms of the quality of the quality of the water.
C. The bottled water boom has peaked and will gradually decline in corning years
D. Bottled water prices will decrease because people will begin drinking tap water instead.
28. Which of the following text structures is used in the passage?
Purchasing a Snow Blower Snow blowers (also called snow throwers) can make the sometimes-difficult, often-unpleasant task of cleaning snow from sidewalks and driveways much easier. Before making a purchase, however, it’s best to learn a few snow blowers basics. Most snow blowers are gasoline powered, though some smaller models are electric. Electric models ate typically not the best choice for large jobs, as they tend to lack the power of gas models. However, electric models can be very light, and they are considered more environmentally friendly. Consider an electric only for small areas or it weight is an important consideration. The next big choice is whether to buy a one-stage or two-stage model. One-stage models are simplest. They use impellers (spinning paddles) to collect the snow and blast it out through a discharge chute. Two-stage models are slightly more complex. They use an augur (a rotating screw) to handle the job of breaking up and collecting snow and impeller to throw the snow out through the chute. Two-stage models are typically bigger, heavier and more powerful than single-stage models. A final consideration is engine size. Engines are typically measured in cc (cubic centimeters) a small, single-stage snow blower might have a 140 cc engine, while a big two-stage blower might feature 200 cc or even more. This is a lot of information to digest. However, an ?? blower is typically ??
29. Which of the following sentence from the passage contain an opinion
A. Snow blowers (also called snow throwers) can make the sometimes-difficult often unpleasant task of clearing snow from sidewalks and driveways much easier.
B. Most snow blowers are gasoline-powered, though
C. Two-stage models are typically bigger, heavier, and more powerful than single-stage models.
D. However, an impatient buyer can rely on one simple pull. A bigger heavier blower is typically a more capable machine.
30. Which of the following is a logical conclusion based on the passage?
A. Someone who is concerned about the environment will prefer a two-stage snow blower.
B. Someone who has a small area from which to remove snow will need a 200 cc engine.
C. Gas, two-stage snow blowers are likely to be the easiest machine to maneuver?
D. Electric, single-stage snow blowers are likely to be the cheapest options to buy
31. Which of the following would be considered primary sources for this passage?
A. manufacturer product manuals
B. product reviews on the internet
C. manufacturer warranty statements
D. critical reviews in a trade journal
32. Which of the following is the author’s main purpose for writing this passage?
A. To convince consumers that a larger, more powerful snow blower is best.
B. To clarify the difference between electric and gas-powered snow blowers
C. To provide information on how snow blowers are designed
D. To instruct consumers about considerations when buying a snow blower
33. Which of the following statements best summarizes the passage?
A. Before making a purchase, however, it’s best to learn a few snow blower basics
B. A final consideration is engine size.
C. An impatient buyer can rely on one simple rule. A bigger, heavier blower is typically a more capable machine.
D. This will ensure that the job can be done, regardless of the circumstances.
34. Based on the passage, which of the following purchases makes the most sense?
A. A person in Texas buys a one-stage snowblower.
B. A person in Michigan buys an electric snowblower.
C. A person in Georgia buys a snowblower with an augur.
D. A person in Maine buys a 140 cc snowblower.