Social Responsibility Assessment
This assignment will be assigned a grade for our class. It is worth _60_ points.
This assignment will also be used for a college-wide state required assessment.
The student’s full name and CWID should be at the top of their assignment.
First: Choose 1 of the 4 Interest Groups to create a 10 paragraph paper. (1 paragraph per question or on paragraph per header which address the prompts under the specific header) The paper must be typed, double spaced and MLA format. Please provide a Works Cited at the end.
1. The National Rifle Association (NRA)
3. International Chamber of Commerce
4. The National Organization for Women (NOW)
Second: Address each of the 10 prompts using these headers. Use a full and complete paragraph for each prompt:
Intercultural Competence (header)
[Analyze the contrasting outlooks, perspectives and value sets of various cultures]
1. Describe the organization. What is their issue and why is it important to “the greater good”?
2. Find a competing group (either a group on the opposite side of the issue or a group that is competing with them for resources) and describe them.
· National Rifle Association opposition group: Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
· Greenpeace opposition group: Alliance for America
· The National Organization of Women (NOW) opposition group: Concern Women for America
· International Chamber of Commerce competition: United States Council for International Business.
3. Which group is doing better to secure resources and accomplish their goal?
4. Name one situation where your group opponent has a good point and might be winning the debate.
Knowledge of Civic Responsibility (header)
At a minimum, my paper should cover the concepts of John Hird (pages 3-6 that deals with the theories of policy-making in the chapter of “Introduction” from Introduction Controversies in America Public Policy PDF I have attached), Thomas Dye (pages 6-8 & 19-23 that discuss the quest for solutions to America’s problems and group elite theory from Understanding Public Policy book by Dye) and Public Policy in the US book by Rushfesky (pages 15-38) who comments on the state of the federal government. The lecture also provides a summary of the readings that will prove useful. Your comments should be based on the readings which you are expected to cite. To assist with the development of your paper you can skim Rushefsky’s case study on the 1996 Welfare Reform (PRWORA) (page 157), found in his Chapter 4 discussion the War on Poverty, or the 2001 case study on No Child Left Behind (NCLB) (page 339) contained in his Chapter 8 dealing with the Promise of Education.