Synthesis is the process of creating a new idea by analyzing multiple disparate concepts or notions to discern the common thematic or connecting principles among them. Synthesis of research is a process learned through time and practice. In this assignment, you will engage in the first parts of the synthesis process: annotating and outlining.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
· Review the journal articles assigned in the modules 4 and 5 of this course.
· Refer to “Empirical Research Checklist” located in the topic materials for this module to guide your selection of an empirical article.
· This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
· Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
· Refer to the resource, “Preparing Annotated Bibliographies,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
· You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Provide an annotated bibliography (750-1,000 words total) of two of the assigned journal articles from modules 4 and 5 of this course and one additional topically-related, empirical article of your choosing. Include the following for each article:
1. The article citation and persistent link. These are not included in the total word count. Be sure to verify the accuracy of the reference formatting as these can change during the insertion process.
2. A written summary of the key concept(s) of the article. Why was the study done? What was the population studied? What did the researcher(s) conclude? What other information about this study do you believe is unique or important to recall? Are there specific statements made by the author that you wish to retain?
Construct an outline for a paper that will explain and synthesize the articles you read for this assignment with at least two additional, topically-related, empirical articles that you will select. The paper will require identification of themes common to all of the articles as well as a statement of the conclusions that can be drawn when the articles are taken together as a single entity. You will be writing the paper in the next assignment.
Please make note of the week 5 assignment details. There is a slight difference for the selected articles for the annotated bibliography section. You are using two articles from the week 4 or 5 course materials and finding one on your own outside of the course materials. In addition to the three articles, you are then finding two additional articles outside of the course materials to use within the outline. Therefore, you will have a total of 5 articles cited and listed in the reference page for this assignment. Remember the two articles from the course materials and the one you find on your own are the three you include in the annotated bibliography section and find common themes from. The two additional articles for the outline are used as a supporting source to your synthesis of common themes. Make sure to use the Annotated Bibliography and Outline template example attached to the week 5 announcement or in instructor add-ons.