A family member tells a patient with terminal cancer not to worry since special prayers have
been said in church. To which saint is prayed for help with cancer?
a. St. Peregrine
b. St. Odilia
c. St. Francis de Sales
d. St. Raymond Nonnatus
42. What would be alternative treatment modalities used during an illness?
a. Strict adherence to the prescribed medical regimen
b. Willingness to seek a second medical opinion
c. Refusal to allow any medical treatment to be performed
d. Consultation of a healer outside the medical establishment
43. A patient follows the teachings of Christian Science and will not take any medications, but
for which health problem will medications be used by members of this religion?
a. Chemotherapy to treat cancer
b. Immunizations to comply with civil law
d. Narcotics for pain relief
44. Which type of healing is most appropriate for a person who is possessed by external evil?
b. Physical healing
c. Inner healing
d. Spiritual healing
45. Why is understanding family heritage important?
a. New traditions can be discovered to be incorporated into daily life.
b. It provides answers to questions regarding why family members behaved as they did.
c. Knowing the methods of socialization that were passed down among families can explain social behaviors today.
d. Health practices can be altered as a result of understanding heritage.
46. Why is it important to examine individual familial health/health practices?
a. Rejects those health traditions if they differ from those of the same ethnocultural group
b. Identifies what healing practices need to be used when one is ill
c. Helps a person become sensitized to understand the role that ethnocultural and religious heritage has played within a family
d. Generalizes to all members of the same ethnocultural group the various health practices that are done
47. What is the value of sharing family health practices among people?
a. Encourages feelings of nostalgia for past times with family
b. Supports the rejection of all types of family health practices
c. Recognizes autonomy for the efficacy of the health practices
d. Provides an awareness of the differences between various groups
48. Which health protection action would the nurse assess in a patient who is of Black American
a. Eating fresh lemons
b. Wearing camphor around the neck in the winter
c. Taking a daily shot of whiskey
d. Drinking blackstrap molasses
49. Which health restoration practice for a cold would the nurse assess in a patient of English
a. Drinking honey and vinegar
b. Rubbing the chest with Vicks
c. Gargling with water and vinegar
d. Drinking brandy with warm milk
50. A patient of Swedish-American Protestant descent wants a specific health protection intervention to maintain throat health. Which action will the patient most likely request?
a. Gargling with salt and taking honey with milk
b. Having the throat blessed on St. Blaise Day
c. Ingesting baking soda
d. Staying in a steamy bathroom when the throat is sore