Attention Grabber: I will start off with a visual aid of a Starbucks cup.
Central Idea/Thesis: Starbucks is one of the most well known and beloved coffee icons worldwide which originated from a small coffee shop, grew on the works of Howard Schultz, and continues to advance till this day.
Purpose Statement: The purpose of my speech is to inform my audience about the history of Starbucks.
Significance: Starbucks is one of the most well known coffee shops that are widely available in almost every location and most most people have tried it and it would be useful to know where they originated from.
Credibility: My experience in the past doing a report on the history of Starbucks for a class in high school.
Preview: Offering my three main points.
I. Originally a small coffee shop
II. Howard Schultz’s contributions
III. Advancement and growth of Starbucks company today
Transitional Statement: Let’s begin at the very beginning in March of 1971 which was when the first Starbucks store opened.
I. Originally from a small coffee shop
A. Seattle’s Historic Pike Place Market in Seattle, Washington
1. Jerry Baldwin. Zee Siegl, and Gordan Bowker’s idea based off of Alfred Peet
– Alred Peet is a Dutch-American entrepreneur who founded Peet’s Coffee & tea in California during the 1966; he is famous for introducing coffee roasting to the U.S
2. “Starbucks” name originated from Moby Dick
– It was the first-mate of the whale-shop Pequod, suggest a connection to the literary classic
1. Jerry Baldwin learned how to roast coffee from Alfred Peet — Purchased coffee directly from Peet’s.
2. No actually coffee drinks were sold here
-Just beans, teas, and coffee machines
Transitional Statement: The opening of the first Starbucks was just one of the key moments in Starbucks history, with the help of the present day CEO Howard Schultz, Starbucks was well on it’s way to success.
II. Howard Schultz (CEO)
1.First came across Starbucks
-He was a general manager of a filter supplies paid a visit
-First cup of Sumatra— drawn into Starbucks from that point on
-Joined Starbucks as a director of marketing
2. Traveled to Italy in 1983
-Captivated w/ Italian coffee bars & the scene over there
-Community & romance
-Wanted to bring it back to the U.S
B. Opened Giornale coffeehouses
1. Wanted to open coffee shops similar to the ones in Italy, but the founders didn’t approve
-Schultz left the company in 1986
-Opened Giornale Coffeehouses
2. A place for coffee, conversation, and community
3. Returned in August 1987 and bought Starbucks w/ the help from investors
-Wanted to turn Starbucks into similar coffee shops like in Italy
-Aimed to expand
Transitional Statement: From that point on after Howard Schultz took over Starbucks, his efforts to transform and expand the beloved coffee shop has advanced even till this day
II. Advancements till this day
A. Worldwide Expansion
1. Over 24,000 stores in 70 countries
-First international coffeehouse in Tokyo in 1996
2. Connections with global partnerships and respect for culture
-Partners internationally with business to allow the implement of values, strategy, and leadership into stores worldwide
– Respect and value other cultures they do business with
B. Expanded beyond just coffee
– Food, smoothies, pastries, fraps , personalized
2. Starbucks Rewards
-Mobile order & pay
-Place to meet
-Community and conversation
I. All in all Starbucks was built on the efforts of the original Seattle store and the efforts and change of Howard Schultz which lead to the many advancements Starbucks holds today.
II. Hold up Starbucks cup again; so this well known logo symbolizes much more than the everyday Starbucks you’re used to seeing.
III. It represents how hard work and passion for transforming the coffee shop scene and the impact of how little efforts lead to greater advancements.
“History of Starbucks.” History of Starbucks. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 June 2016. <http://www.coffee.org/History-of-Starbucks>.
“Company Information.” Starbucks Coffee Company. 2016 Starbucks Corporation, n.d. Web. 27 June 2016. <http://www.starbucks.com/about-us/company-information>.
“Starbucks Company Timeline.” Starbucks Coffee Company. 2016 Starbucks Corporation, n.d. Web. 27 June 2016.