Working in Project Management
Respond to one of the following questions:
Monitoring and controlling a project is a core activity for a project manager. Provide an example of a project that was challenged by control issues and describe what caused the situation. Explain what could have been done to ensure that key elements such as the scope, schedule, and cost were controlled.
Project management is a popular occupation in contemporary business. Visit a few job websites (for example, monster.com) and other sources of information on the project management occupation (for example, the Bureau of Labor Statistics). What is the current status of project managers with regard to:
· Demographic trends around project management
· Industries using project managers
· Value of the PMP® certification from the PMI
The PMP® certification has been popular in the past ten years. Apart from this certification, there are other project management credentials or certifications available to project managers. Which of these certifications appeal to you and why? What other certifications are complementary to the PMP® certification?
The final paragraph (three or four sentences) of your initial post should summarize the one or two key points that you are making in your initial response.
Justify your answers with examples and reasoning. Comment on the postings and views of at least two peers.
Your posting should be the equivalent of 1 to 2 pages (500–1000 words) in length.
This week, your course project is due for final submission. The deliverables for Week 5 are:
· The project control plan
· The project closeout plan
The project control plan:
· Propose the reports and control mechanisms that the project manager and the team will use to track the project. The plan should include the details of performance measurement that defines which variables will be measured, how they will be measured, and when they will be measured. The measurable objectives should be identified as milestones on the Gantt chart. You may use Microsoft Project to develop a baseline for your project plan.
· Project evaluation and reporting will also explain how a project manager will communicate performance evaluation results to management and to the customer. This will include the results of performing the cost and schedule variance analyses and a risk analysis, formulating cost or schedule or performance alternatives, forecasting budget and schedule completion, employing the methods of taking corrective actions, and managing expectations.
The project closeout plan:
· The plan should propose the method of determining when the project has met its objectives and the method of determining when the project will be terminated. In the closeout plan, discuss the closing of the project, reassigning personnel, and delivering materials purchased under the contract.
· Include a summary of lessons learned in developing the project management plan along with recommendations and follow-up work, as needed.
· Submit your 8-10 page paper in a Microsoft Word document, using APA style.